Arden's room is now complete with custom made toile draperies with blackout lining to keep the room dark, so she will sleep. Of course, this did not occur without some compromises.
Remember how Stuart thought that the black blankets hanging over her large 84 inch window looked just fine? Well . . . I just couldn't enjoy the room with that look, and it made it dark all the time, not just when she was sleeping, so it felt like a cave. It was too cumbersome to take the blankets down and put them back up again 3 times per day when she would sleep in there for naps and nightime. I did get some good suggestions from friends about how to darken the windows with various materials, but all of those would show from the outside, and her room is on the front of the house, facing the street. I didn't think the neighbors would appreciate it if I put foil over the glass for all to see!
The compromise involved Ebay, Craigslist, and the local newspaper. I sold my stuff . . . lots of it! It was time consuming to list all the items, mail out Ebay packages, and meet people at my house to view an item. Stuart got tired of the phone calls asking if the maternity clothes were still for sale! However, it was all worth it, as I raised almost 2/3 of the cost of the drapes by selling items I didn't use (though I liked them!).
My List of Casualties:
about 9 items of clothing
30 maternity clothing items
Coach purse
6 metal standards and track of Elfa shelving
Pottery Barn Kids rug
Pottery Barn Kids bedding
infant activity gym
3 pairs of outgrown Robeez infant shoes
wall clock
The end result is great! The drapes look amazing and function well. I am thankful for the "drapery expert" who sewed the curtains and helped me figure out how to get the right curtain rod which would work for that awkward window. We now have light in there when we want it, and darkness too.
Stuart still wants a Wii, so maybe we'll sell some of his stuff next!






No comments:
Post a Comment