I think the only thing that concerns me about our impending move to Bentonville, AR, is transitioning Owen to a new school during the middle of the year. I remember moving around his age, and then again after fourth grade. It wasn't fun to be the "new kid" for the first few months. Stuart bought the boys a Wii to soften the blow of the move, and we will give it to them once we get into the new house. I am also praying that God will provide Owen with some great friends during the first few days of school.
I remember taking him to kindergarten two years ago, and he was so brave. His smile was the nervous kind, and I could see his chin quiver a few times, but he didn't cry. Luckily, when we picked him up, he had had "the best day ever" and didn't even want me to walk him to his classroom after the second day. Now, I have to take him to a new school during second grade, and I think it's going to be harder than leaving him at kindergarten. At least when he started kindergarten, I knew all about the teacher he had from my other friends whose children also attended the same school. Also, all the kindergarteners were having their "first day" together, so it didn't seem strange to be nervous or shed some tears when your mother left.
Now, I am navigating the line between wanting to shelter him and provide security, yet not hover or embarrass him. He has already said he doesn't want me to walk him to his classroom . . . at all. "Mom, it's second grade!" he told me emphatically. I know he'll be brave, yet I hope the kids can include him. I will worry about him sitting at lunch and recess all alone with no one talking to him.
I'm nervous because I don't know anyone at his school either. When he started kindergarten, I had already toured the facilities, taken him to the playground, and met the principal and office staff before the first day of school (yes, I'm one of "those" parents!). Now, I'm sort of nervous too! I don't know the directions for picking up and dropping off in the car lanes. What if I hold up all the traffic? What if it takes me a lot longer to go through the carpool lane, and Owen thinks I've forgotten him? What if I get lost trying to find my way back to the school from our new house (if you know me, then you know that is a real possibility, as I'm "directionally impaired").
The other issue that I'm praying about is which school Owen will actually get to attend. Bentonville (and Rogers, too) have a problem with their schools being full. Even for kindergarten, there is a "lottery" to decide who gets to go to the nearby school and who has to go to alternate schools! We began to hear from our realtor that Owen might not get to attend the public school he is zoned for because it is full. I've never heard of this before! I always assumed that if you live in the neighborhood for a particular school, then you get to go there. However, when I talked to the people at the Bentonville public schools administration office, they informed me that because of the extreme growth in their county, only TWO out of eight elementary schools have any openings right now in second grade. Neither school with openings is near us! So, we are expecting Owen to have to go to an "overflow" school and be put on the waiting list (yes, a waiting list for public school!) at his zoned school. When he gets a spot, he will transfer over. I'm not thrilled with this option because of the extra driving to transport him to a school on the other side of town, plus the fact that he will have to be the "new kid" all over again and make new friends for third grade.
Please pray for the school situation! I know the Bentonville schools are top ranked, and I've checked all the test scores, and Bentonville's schools are always listed in the top ten districts for Arkansas on all the lists I've found. Bentonville High School was a national Blue Ribbon School for 2007 which is an honor only given to the top 33 schools in the nation. I am amazed at their curriculum and feel Owen will love it. I just want him to get into our neighborhood school quickly and be accepted easily by his classmates. Hopefully, he'll come home and say that it was the "best day ever" again!
I remember taking him to kindergarten two years ago, and he was so brave. His smile was the nervous kind, and I could see his chin quiver a few times, but he didn't cry. Luckily, when we picked him up, he had had "the best day ever" and didn't even want me to walk him to his classroom after the second day. Now, I have to take him to a new school during second grade, and I think it's going to be harder than leaving him at kindergarten. At least when he started kindergarten, I knew all about the teacher he had from my other friends whose children also attended the same school. Also, all the kindergarteners were having their "first day" together, so it didn't seem strange to be nervous or shed some tears when your mother left.
Now, I am navigating the line between wanting to shelter him and provide security, yet not hover or embarrass him. He has already said he doesn't want me to walk him to his classroom . . . at all. "Mom, it's second grade!" he told me emphatically. I know he'll be brave, yet I hope the kids can include him. I will worry about him sitting at lunch and recess all alone with no one talking to him.
I'm nervous because I don't know anyone at his school either. When he started kindergarten, I had already toured the facilities, taken him to the playground, and met the principal and office staff before the first day of school (yes, I'm one of "those" parents!). Now, I'm sort of nervous too! I don't know the directions for picking up and dropping off in the car lanes. What if I hold up all the traffic? What if it takes me a lot longer to go through the carpool lane, and Owen thinks I've forgotten him? What if I get lost trying to find my way back to the school from our new house (if you know me, then you know that is a real possibility, as I'm "directionally impaired").
The other issue that I'm praying about is which school Owen will actually get to attend. Bentonville (and Rogers, too) have a problem with their schools being full. Even for kindergarten, there is a "lottery" to decide who gets to go to the nearby school and who has to go to alternate schools! We began to hear from our realtor that Owen might not get to attend the public school he is zoned for because it is full. I've never heard of this before! I always assumed that if you live in the neighborhood for a particular school, then you get to go there. However, when I talked to the people at the Bentonville public schools administration office, they informed me that because of the extreme growth in their county, only TWO out of eight elementary schools have any openings right now in second grade. Neither school with openings is near us! So, we are expecting Owen to have to go to an "overflow" school and be put on the waiting list (yes, a waiting list for public school!) at his zoned school. When he gets a spot, he will transfer over. I'm not thrilled with this option because of the extra driving to transport him to a school on the other side of town, plus the fact that he will have to be the "new kid" all over again and make new friends for third grade.
Please pray for the school situation! I know the Bentonville schools are top ranked, and I've checked all the test scores, and Bentonville's schools are always listed in the top ten districts for Arkansas on all the lists I've found. Bentonville High School was a national Blue Ribbon School for 2007 which is an honor only given to the top 33 schools in the nation. I am amazed at their curriculum and feel Owen will love it. I just want him to get into our neighborhood school quickly and be accepted easily by his classmates. Hopefully, he'll come home and say that it was the "best day ever" again!






3 comments:
I am sure he will do great. Even so, it isn't easy for us moms to leave our little guys in unfamiliar places. I will be praying for you both.
Oh Michelle! We were traveling back from OK yesterday and as we passed through Springdale and Fayettville I thought of you guys. So I whipped out my phone and looked up your blog. First of all, I hope Stuart has a fabulous first day at his new job. He has been covered in prayer and I'm sure is so excited to start this new adventure. Secondly, everything you said about Owen is exactly what we went through with the girls when we moved here. We moved and their school was too full, so I traveled across town during kindergarten. Then the new school opened and the rezoning occured and they had to change schools again. They have not had the most traditional school experience. I finished reading your posts (and showing your gorgeous new house to Bran) and I just said, "Oh, Brandon, I need to talk to Michelle". I will most definitely be praying for everyone during this time of transition. God has placed you in Bentonville and He will take care of everything. Love you guys!
Believe it or not, this happens in Cabot too when kids move in because we have the same issue: schools that are too full!
Just don't stress (I know--easier said than done!). The same God that sold your house so quickly (and for cash, for crying out loud!) has Owen in the palm of His hand.
Melissa
Post a Comment