Friday, May 2, 2008

Gratitude

I'll be the first to admit that whenever I am under stress, I usually don't handle it well. I worry and fret, I develop insomnia, I get irritable. I'm really trying to do a better job of resting in God's peace and not letting the small or large issues of life get to me so much. I watched a segment of an interview with Amy Grant the other day, and she said that when she begins to feel the tensions of life affecting her, she has benefitted from the act of gratitude. She said that she makes a written or verbal list of all the things in her life that she is thankful for, and it puts the current stress into perspective.

I guess I'll try it and see . . .

I am thankful for:

1. my God who has saved me and given me eternal life. Without that gift, nothing else would matter anyway.
2. my husband who always puts up with me, loves me unconditionally, tells me that I'm beautiful even with no makeup and "morning hair," and is the smartest person I know.
3. my three children -- all of whom are miracles for a woman who has had a diagnosis of infertility!
4. my fun and wonderful part-time teaching job which I am thankful to be able to do from home (online)
5. Stuart's job because unlike my little job, it actually pays our bills!
6. my extended family
7. my close friends who always lend a hand, pray with me, offer to watch my kids, make me feel appreciated and loved, and make me laugh
8. the opportunity that I was given to go to college and graduate school. My education has made a huge difference in my life.
9. my house
10. my new mini-van (even though I used to say I would never be caught driving one!)
11. the memories I have of my time with my dad
12. Sonic cherry limeade in the summertime
13. chocolate (specifically Toblerone)
14. Netflix
15. the smell of a baby sleeping on my shoulder
16. the fact that Arden is now sleeping all night most of the time!
17. Owen's elementary school and Hudson's great preschool
18. my good health
19. the internet (I honestly couldn't function without a computer!)
20. hearing my kids' laughter
21. the fact that I finally found the "perfect" diaper bag by the third child!
22. rainfall that comes right when I need to water my grass
23. chocolate covered glazed donuts from Daylight Donuts
24. contemporary Christian praise music which always changes my focus
25. the fact that I can finally fit back into my favorite jeans after baby #3!

What would your list say?

No comments: