We just completed another highlight of first grade -- track and field day! Luckily, the impending rain held off for the event, and this morning Owen got to compete with all the other first graders. He was so excited -- mainly about bringing 50 cents to buy fruit snacks at the concession stand! He won three first place ribbons for the 50 yard dash, sack race, and the boys' relay! It's fun to see him have so much fun and to remember those days (of long, long ago!) when we had special events like this ourselves. After the morning events, the school gave the students a two hour lunch break, and most parents accompanied their child off campus to eat. I took Owen to his favorite spot -- Burger King (chosen because he wanted to see what new Indiana Jones toy would be in the kids' meal!). He got to play in the indoor playground with at least five other boys from his first grade class who met us there.
I enjoyed visiting with the other moms and catching up on the school news -- who is pregnant, which teachers are leaving, which teachers will be the second grade teachers next year, which VBS our kids will attend, who is taking swim lessons, etc. It was fun to be connected to that community again, and I realized how much I've missed it! Last year, I was up at Owen's school 1-2 days each week, and I was the room mom who organized all the class events and parties. I knew every child in his class very well and could recognize each of their parents. This year has been different since I had a baby. I couldn't volunteer due to my pregnancy complications last semester, and now I am unable to do much at the school due to lack of childcare for Arden. I've missed seeing these other moms and being more involved in his school!
I'm thankful for Owen's public school. I'm thankful for his dear, sweet teacher Mrs. Bradley and how much she genuinely loves kids. I'm thankful for the mom I met today who has adopted two abused children and given them a loving and stable home. Hopefully, second grade will be as good as this year has been!






No comments:
Post a Comment