Friday, August 8, 2008

Tried and True Baby Items

After having my third baby last year, I have now gone through quite a lot of baby products. I found some items that I loved back when I had Owen seven years ago, and some items are ones I just recently discovered, or they are newly on the market. I enjoy "testing" out products and finding things sold resale to save money. I think another career I'd enjoy is to be a tester for Consumer Reports magazine (which I subscribe to and follow religiously!).

Here are a few products that I really enjoy with Arden. If you are currently pregnant or might be in the future, then I would recommend any of them. They are also great ideas for baby gifts!

1. Bella Tunno pacifier holder: cute ribbon with metal clip. Attaches to paci with velcro. Each to use and machine washable. Very durable from my experience. About $8 at Pickles and Ice Cream or other boutiques

2. Robeez! I can't say enough about these wonderful leather crib shoes for pre-walkers. I began using them with Hudson and now with Arden. I usually use 0-6 and 6-12 month sizes exclusively before putting my kids in hard-soled shoes when they begin walking. I own about 3-4 pairs in each size. I buy them gently used off Ebay for around $12-14, then I resell them for $8-10, so they hardly cost me anything. There are some off-brands (like at Target) that I've never tried, but they won't resell nearly as well as the Robeez brand. So, ultimately it is still cheaper for me to buy the name brand and be able to get money back later. I wash mine in the washing machine and line dry, and I've had no problems with durability. They stay on really well.

3. Fisher Price Rainforest Jumperoo. This is a newer baby item which is a jumper that is in a round frame with toys, lights, and sounds around the seat. Once Arden got to be 6 months, she absolutely loves it, and she can jump in it for an hour! It's a bit bulky in size, but it is worth it for how much she likes it. I bought it used for half price which I would recommend doing, since it's a bit pricey. Retail is $80.

4. JJ Cole System Diaper Bag: I am picky about diaper bags. They have to hold enough, but not feel too bulky. I won't like the bag if it hurts my shoulder or digs into it when I am carrying a full bag. I don't like double strap bags since one strap always slides off my shoulder. I need lots of pockets to stay organized. I don't want a bag with cartoons or a baby design. You get the picture. I have never really loved a diaper bag until now, and I have tried about six or more with three kids. This bag is pricey ($70), but I got mine cheaper on Ebay. I love the stroller straps that you can hook onto the handlebars, so the bag can clip to them. It makes it so easy to access the bag instead of putting it in the stroller basket underneath. It is lightweight, cute, and super comfy to carry with a padded strap. I've had no problems with durability or spot cleaning after 7 months. It even has an iPod pocket, but I use it for my keys since I don't own an iPod.

5. Boppy Pillow with removable cover: I have gone through two of these pillows. I definitely recommend the removable cover, so you don't have to wash the pillow itself. I did that with my first one, and it got lumpy. I still use this for bottle feeding, as it saves my arm and neck from getting stiff because I can just lay Arden on the pillow on my lap to feed her. cost $30-ish

6. Bumbo Chair. I never had one before Arden, and I found some good use for it. I wouldn't pay retail price of $40 for this chair, as I don't think it's worth that much money, but I got mine for $15 at a consignment sale. It was a great device to help her sit upright with support between 3-7 months old. We had problems with "flat head" from laying on her back so much, so this was a great chair to use to get her in a different position.

7. Whoozit Toy: All three of my kids have loved this toy in the infant stage. They crinkle it, chew the pink rings, squeeze the noze, etc. It's the perfect companion for a stroller or carseat. Mine has been washed countless times and is still being used after 7 years! Retail around $12

8. Barefoot Dreams Blankies: These are the best little blankies! All three of my kids have had them (and Owen still sleeps with his!). They wash well, and they don't fall apart unless you eat them (cough . . . Hudson). They come in satin or chenille. Retail around $24, but I got Arden's on Ebay for $10.

9. Pampers Cruisers Diapers: Yes, these are the premium and most expensive diapers. I have tried all the cheaper brands, and I still come back to these. They fit my kids the best and have the best overnight leak protection. I buy one big box per month at Sam's Club, and they last me all month. The average cost in that quantity is .22 cents per diaper for size 3, and I don't have to cut coupons. They aren't the cheapest, but they are the best, in my opinion.

10. Diaper Service Quality (DSQ) cloth diapers: I bought a bundle of these off Ebay, and they are the best burp cloths I've used. They wash well and hold up to lots of wear. They are so much thicker and softer than the Gerber cloth diapers at Walmart. These are the ones people use if they are really going to use cloth diapers for diapering! I sewed some ribbon to the bottom to decorate them, but they are fine just plain white. About $2.50 each.

11. Bumkins Bibs: For two children I bought the cheaper Target or Walmart brand vinyl bibs for highchair use/baby food feedings. They were cheap at 4 for $5.00, but they always got stiff, they weren't machine washable, the print washed off, and they generally got gross after a month of use and had to be thrown away. Finally, I recently splurged and spent $6.00 for a Bumkins Bib (cost for 1), and I will never go back! They are wonderful, flexible material, have an adjustable velcro neck opening for various age babies, and they are machine washable!! This is money well-spent, as they won't wear out or be thrown away. Available at Babies R Us.

12. Graco Contempo High Chair: I really like the design and price of this model. It folds very narrow, and it has multiple height and recline positions. It has a removeable tray and holes to insert high chair toys, if desired. There are various designs and colors. Retail price is $100.

13. Fisher Price Cradle Swing: This newer style swing has a two-position swing (side to side, or front to back), mobile, lights, sounds, etc. Pretty snazzy, but so is the price at around $110! I found a gently used one for $50, and it has been worth every penny. In fact, they are so popular, that I can resell mine in a few months for almost what I paid for it. So, I got to use it for less than $10! Arden loves to swing (the boys didn't), and often this is the only place I can get her to fall asleep if she's cranky. She still sleeps in it for one daytime nap daily, and I'm trying to wean her off it! We've lugged this swing (which does disassemble easily) in our van to multiple places, including our recent weekend roadtrip! Try consignment sales, newspaper listings, or Craigslist for used models. They can be hard to find since they are so popular, so you'll have to look regularly for listings and then contact the seller quickly!

14. Aden and Anais Muslin Swaddle Blankets: I am a big believer in swaddling your newborn to help calm them and help them sleep better. My colicky babies always reponded well to a combination of swaddling, swinging, and white noise. The problem with most blankets is that they are rectangular, too stiff, too heavy, or too small to adequately swaddle a baby past 8 lbs! These 44 inch square blankets are lightweight cotton muslin, and they are perfect in size, shape, and weight. I swaddled Arden to sleep in them until she was almost 5 months old! I found these described in a magazine and ordered them online http://adenandanais.com/. They come in 2-packs or 4-packs and retail for about $12 per blanket. I have used them daily and washed them countless times, and they still look new. This must be my all-time favorite, can't-live-without baby item! They come in girl prints, boy prints, or plain white.

15. Ultimate Crib Sheet: A friend told me about these with Owen, and I have used them with all my babies. Since all three of my babies have had reflux/spit-up issues, it is a big pain to change crib linens multiple times daily after a bit spit-up on the crib sheet. You will love these when your sweet baby has a stomach bug, rotovirus, or a diaper blowout in the crib! You know how it is; you have to take off the bumper pad and untie a zillion ties to get it off, then you have to lift up the heavy mattress and get the sheet off. Then, trying to get the clean sheet on is almost impossible for me with my mattress unless I have help! This crib sheet has a waterproof backing and a soft, cotton top. It simply snaps around the crib slats in six places and lays on top of your pretty crib sheet. To change, just unsnap and replace with bumper pad still in place. I always have at least two to rotate. Retail around $16, but you can find them gently used on Ebay.

My motto is to buy the best quality you can for the lowest price! As you can tell, I love Ebay very much, and it saves me a lot of money (or costs me a lot, depending on how you look at it!).

No comments: