
My grandfather, Verle Allyn Smith, went to be with the Lord on Saturday, January 8, 2011, at 2:30 p.m. in Oklahoma City, OK. He was 99 years old. He was such a kind and patient grandfather, and I have many good memories of being in my grandparent's house during the summer months when I was growing up. He was a quiet man who didn't talk much, but I remember how he would sit back and take in all the grandchildren's activity and just smile at us as we played. He would often pat us on the back, sometimes so hard we would jump, and say something very simple like, "You kids are really growing up." He would be smiling a tender smile, and I knew that his words meant that he loved us very much. He was known for his hard work ethic and intelligence as he graduated from Oklahoma State University with a degree in engineering and worked for Kerr McGee oil company. He provided well for his family and three children, all of whom graduated from college or graduate school. He took care of my grandmother for seven years throughout her recovery from two strokes until she died in 1990. She was the love of his life, and I remember seeing him dye her hair in their bathroom when she could no longer do it herself and then learning to roll her hair on old-fashioned rollers to give her a home permanent after her strokes. He even applied her makeup, though sometimes she came out with a bit too much blush or face powder!
Grandad was a man of few words, but he had a big heart. I knew he was so proud of me and my children. I knew he loved us. I will always remember his jumpsuits that he wore, his big recliner where you could find him reading the paper and doing crossword puzzles in the living room, and his smile.
Rest in peace, Grandad. You will be greatly missed.
*the picture above is the only photo I have from the last time I got to see him in 2007. Owen was showing him the tooth he had just lost!






1 comment:
I am so sorry about your loss. He sounds like a really kind man!
Post a Comment