Saturday, February 12, 2011

Snow, snow go away. Come back another day!

We have had record breaking snowfall in Bentonville! In the past two weeks, we have had three snow storms and been in school for only three out of ten school days! The last storm that arrived Tuesday night dumped around 20-22 inches in our town and set a record for the most snowfall here! Then, the temperature was below zero in the morning for the next two days, so it didn't melt quickly. The boys have enjoyed snow days, but we are all about ready to have a normal routine again. We have had TEN snow days since January 4, so we will now have to deal with how to make up the days in order to meet the state requirement of 178 days of school to count for a full year credit. It looks like five days will be added on to the end of the school year, and five days might be made up with a combination of spring break days we lose and Saturday school (no fun!).

I got a lot done last week when I thought that might be my only time off school for awhile. We were out of school for snow and ice from Tuesday through Friday, and I was able to plan ahead to take home things that I needed to get some projects done. I filed our taxes electronically from home, I planned curriculum, I tagged all my items to sell in an upcoming children's consignment sale, and I cleaned my house well. This week, I haven't been quite as productive, but I have enjoyed the down time. I just have to remember this when it is the second week of June, and it feels so miserable to be in school when the pool is calling my name!

All the kids are excited to go back to school on Monday for their Valentine's Day parties, and it was CRAZY at Walmart today, as everyone appeared to be there at the same time to restock up on food after the storm PLUS purchase items for the Valentine's Day holiday. I still have to make a trip to Target tomorrow to get a few things for my own little Valentines, so they will have cute goodie bags from mommy and daddy on Monday.

I've been spending too much time bidding on things on Ebay while I've been home and browsing the internet for project ideas for the house. I'm beginning to embrace the whole idea that my house is a work in progress and enjoy thinking of ways to upgrade items I don't really like or make the house more "me." It was really different to have custom built our last house where I picked out everything and then buy a builder's grade house this time that didn't have much of what I would have selected. Since I shopped so much for everything in the last house (from doorknobs to faucets to tile selections), I had developed pretty specific tastes of what I liked in decor. However, now I am enjoying the process of "building" again, but it is in small bits and pieces as I can afford to change things in the house. Luckily, I love the floorplan, so I'm not really renovating as in knocking down walls; it's more of the cosmetic things. There is flooring I didn't like, a bathroom window that bugs me, a dishwasher that is not the best quality, sink faucet fixtures I want to change out, sconces that are ugly (who likes seashell shaped lights??). It will probably take me years to afford to get my projects done, but I've begun to enjoy the process! That says a lot since I am usually all about the end result! This is progress . . .

No comments: