So . . . the school year is winding down, and it has been flying by since we finished spring break in March. The boys have had lots of school activities, and Owen was in the performance of 101 Dalmations with the 4th graders at his school. My birthday in April was a fun celebration, and Stuart bought me an iPhone 4 to replace my vintage flip phone that didn't have working voicemail. I have really enjoyed having a phone that allows me to check the internet and my email when away from a computer. It also comes in handy if we have a long wait at restaurants or doctor appointments, so I can show Hudson or Arden a children's video from Netflix right on my phone.
It's been a good month with my students, and this time of year is always reflective as I prepare to say goodbye to my students and don't see them in the same way next year. I have gotten some nice letters, a poem written about me, and a bouquet of flowers from some dear students over the past few weeks. I really love teaching, and I do feel that what I do matters.
I went to Little Rock over my birthday weekend to see Beth Moore live at Verizon Arena with my mom. It was a whirlwind trip, but it was very encouraging and uplifting. It was just the getaway I needed! I think it was the first time in several years that I had gone away overnight without kids.
We took the kids to Silver Dollar City with our new season passes and visited or the first time last weekend. It turned out to be a very hot day at almost 90 degrees, but it was a lot of fun!We didn't attempt the rides with long lines and just casually enjoyed the time. The kids rode a few rides like the teacups, Dumbo, and the jumping frogs. We all rode the boat ride, and then we went to two shows (a comedy circus and the step dancers). Arden's favorite part is getting taffy at the old-fashioned candy store!
We have about three more weeks of school, then I will be going to a few days of professional development training on the new Common Core Standards which our state is adopting. I am also beginning work on my National Board Certification, and I have plans to work a few hours each week during the summer on some of the entries that I can start now. I have lined up a teenager in our neighborhood to play with the kids at my house or one half-day every week this summer, so I can go and write my materials in an undisturbed session at the my school or the public library.
We hope to visit the Tulsa Zoo next weekend, if the weather cooperates. Then, the boys have church camp from June 20-24, which is a full-day outdoor camp at Beaver Lake. We are hoping to be able to take a family vacation to Washington D.C. in July, if our free housing works out; Stuart has a friend who works there and has a two bedroom apartment near the Capitol that he is offering us, if the dates work out. It will be a long drive with the kids, but it will be a relatively affordable trip since the housing would be free, and most of the museums we want to see are also free admission.
I am trying to get all the last minute things done to wrap up the year while also enjoying my final days with my great classes. I can't believe that Owen changes schools next year and begins middle school! He loved the tour of the middle school when we attended the orientation a few weeks ago; he is really ready to move up and have a team of four teachers. It is still a little sad to think that he and Hudson won't be riding the bus together next year anymore, and they won't be on the same campus again until high school. Arden will also be changing buildings next year, as she will be promoted to the pre-K facility in the school district that begins at age 3 1/2 until kindergarten. Thankfully, all of her friends in her current class will be moving up with her which will ease the transition.
I love this time of year; it's getting warm but not too hot, the anticipation of summer is upon us, the expanse of our vacation is still ahead, and I feel grateful for all we accomplished in the past year of school!
Sunday, May 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment