Friday, October 10, 2008

All About Arden


We took Arden to the pediatrician this week to have her 9 month checkup. She is doing great and off the charts in height! She is about 21 lbs now and 31 inches tall! That is over the 98th percentile in height! That is why she weighs quite a bit but doesn't look that chubby; it's just all stretched out. She is the same height the boys were on their first birthday! She is looking more and more like a toddler these days as her hair is thickening in front, too.

She is saying "mamama," "papapapa," "gagagaga" -- but no "dada" yet, much to Stuart's dismay! She can wave bye-bye, and she seems to say "ba" when she is reaching for her bottle. We just began trying out a soft-spout sippy cup with her to try to begin the transition off a bottle over the next few months. I've been pretty good about getting all my kids completely off their bottle within a week or two of their first birthday.

Arden is also crawling much more proficiently now -- enough to get into trouble! She has pulled over several lamps by crawling to them and yanking on the cords from the floor. I don't remember what I did to prevent this with the boys. She can almost crawl the entire length of a room now! She pulls up part way and will try to stand up too! I know she'll be walking by her first birthday.

She's had three colds already since she began part-time childcare, but the pediatrician said that should improve as she builds up immunities for the first time (we never even had her in the church nursery on Sundays until August). Luckily, none of her recent colds have turned into ear infections like they did with the boys. She also got her first flu shot this week, so I'm glad she will have that protection. I consented to enroll her in a flu shot study at our pediatrician's office, so we will have one extra doctor's visit, and they had to do a blood draw this week. They will draw blood one more time in 8 weeks when the study ends to check her final antibody level after immunization. The monetary compensation to participate in the study was a nice perk, and Arden also got the mercury-free flu vaccine that I wanted for her due to all the hype about autism.

Stuart has been in Atlanta most of the week, and he was gone over his birthday on October 9. We are looking forward to some good family time when he returns tomorrow.

No comments: