Monday, June 1, 2009

I Won Some Free Fashion

*Update: I had a wonderful time with Katie, and she was very helpful in figuring out how to pull together new outfits with my existing clothing. I scraped together a very small budget, and she shopped for a couple of outfits for me with pieces that could be mixed and matched with my existing wardrobe! I felt her service was extremely helpful, and I'd love to use her again!


In a local kids' directory magazine, I saw an ad for a Northwest Arkansas personal style consultant. She had a blog called "You and Improved," so I checked it out, and she gave some good style tips about what to wear this summer. Everything she modeled was actually something I would wear and not "runway" crazy. Her listed services included organizing your closet, helping you select the best style of clothing for your body type, and personal shopping (ie: she goes and buys you 5-7 "key pieces," then you try them on and pay for what you want to keep).

She had a May contest for three free hours ($90 value) that would be given away on June 1 via email. I entered the blog contest and never thought about it again. . . until this morning. Low and behold, at 7:52 am, there was a message in my email inbox that stated, "Congratulations, you won!"

So, now I get a three hour, free consultation with Katie. She appears down-to-earth in her blog, and she is a Christian and young mom herself. She will come to my house and go through my clothes (that won't take long!). Then, she will give me tips on how to put outfits together and make a "shopping list" for me of items that I should start buying over time to improve my wardrobe and personal style.

I'm excited! Maybe this will make me look like I'm in my 20's again -- well, that's probably not realistic. So, maybe she will at least help me find a place to shop that has pants that fit me. Maybe she can make some fantastic outfits out of my ten tee shirts and four pairs of jeans that I wear everyday! Maybe she can teach me how to wear one of those long necklaces since I have no idea how to pull that off.

I do feel that since I left the full-time work force and had my third child, I have lost all sense of fashion. I don't know where to shop anymore or what styles are even popular for my age. I don't have the money or time to roam the mall endlessly to get ideas. I always end up grabbing what's comfortable, so I realized lately that all I own are tee shirts and jeans . . . and they aren't even cute tee shirts. Who knows, maybe I can look polished and pulled together by my 40th birthday next year!

No comments: