Saturday, September 12, 2009

A Week of the Flu

I keep thinking that one of these weeks will be normal. This last one wasn't it.

Stuart started feeling bad on Monday afternoon, and by the middle of the night he was deathly ill. On Monday morning, he had a high fever and called in sick to work. I went on to school and took care of getting the children to their schools. Stuart called me at 4:00 and told me that he had just been to the doctor, and that was a surprise since he usually never goes voluntarily. He said he progressively felt worse during the day and thought he might have pneumonia or something. It turns out he had the H1N1 flu.

Stuart has been home sick all week. He is slowly recovering, but it is almost as if when some symptoms get better, then he gets other ones. I am hopeful he can go back to work on Monday, but it is still touch and go. My week was spent identifying with single, working mothers who have no other adult to help them. Stuart remained quarantined in our guest bedroom for the better part of the week, so he wouldn't infect the rest of us. I began taking Tamiflu, but our pediatrician didn't think it was indicated for the children. Plus, the liquid form for the young kids that had to be compounded was over $180 for their prescriptions.

I have used so many Clorox wipes this week that I don't think I'll ever like the smell of them again. So far, no one else is sick, although Owen is dragging tonight and felt a little warm. I am hoping he doesn't wake up tomorrow with the full blown flu.

Needless to say, it was a long week. However, we have survived many things already in the 4 weeks since school has started, and I reentered the classroom. We've had Stuart's dad get diagnosed with cancer. Arden got the flu. Stuart got the flu (worse than Arden). I pulled Arden out of the first daycare, and I am now trying out #2. I hope it slows down now. I don't want to be burned out by Thanksgiving.

The positive side of this week was Arden's transition to her new daycare. She seems to like it so much more, and I have been thrilled with it this past week. She never cried a single time at drop off, and they have said she is happy all day. She has done crafts, painting, had storytime, and made a new friend "Chessa." I have visited her every day on my prep period or lunch and gotten to spy on her. I enjoyed seeing her sitting at the table with her hands folded while the teacher read the boys and girls a picture book. She looked so grown up and attentive! There have only been 5-6 other children with her all week, and she wasn't bitten once! So far, she is also healthy after one week there. I'm praising God for this bright spot in our week! I spent some time this morning going around to our neighborhood garage sales and was able to pick up more board books for her daycare classroom, as I am trying to help stock it full with good books. They have some books, and I am pleased to see how much the teachers read with the children. I want to help make more books accessible to her and the other children there, especially since literacy is my teaching area! Luckily, I can usually always get lots of books for .25 to .50 cents at garage sales or my favorite thrift store.

Please continue to pray for our family's health and that none of the kids get the flu.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

I am so happy Arden is liking her new daycare!

Anonymous said...

I will be praying you all feel better soon! Blessings, Ginger