On Thursday, the firetruck came to Arden's preschool/daycare for a themed week that they were doing on community helpers. Fortunately, I had my prep period that day during that exact time in the morning it would be there, so I walked across the parking lot from my junior high building to her school. I wasn't sure how she would act once she saw me since this was the first time I have visited her during the school day and let her know I was there. Usually, I spy on her unseen, so that she won't melt down and think I'm there to pick her up. Sometimes she still has some separation anxiety at drop off (even at church), so I didn't know if I would end up having a crying child to leave behind when it was time for the children to go back to class.
I brought my camera, hoping to get some cute pictures. Arden was already about to be lifted into the firetruck when I arrived. I got some pictures of the group and the outside of the truck before she even noticed me in the crowd. I enjoyed seeing her in her own environment, oblivious to my presence. She was giggling with the other children inside the truck, and I was so amazed at how old she appeared to me all of sudden. She was listening to the teachers, obeying cues, and sitting still.
When Arden did finally see me, it definitely wasn't the reaction that I expected. I thought she would run to me, or she would cry, or she would want to be picked up. None of the above. She waved and said, "Mama," then she turned back to her friends. At first, I felt a bit rejected, but immediately I realized that this is the reaction I was hoping for. She is happy at school. Finally. After attending two daycare locations in just a five week period, she is now getting settled. She feels secure, and we have found a place which is a great fit. She doesn't need me to rescue her, and she is enjoying her day. My prayers were being answered.
When the whole class was posing for a final picture in front of the firetruck, Arden began to hug another boy from the older toddler class. There were three different classes outside, so I didn't recognize him, and I have no idea if Arden had ever seen him before! I thought it was cute to see her giggle and bear hug this little boy, so I whipped out my camera to capture the moment. Just as I snapped the picture, Arden planted a big kiss right on this poor boy's cheek! I can't believe I caught it on film when I wasn't even trying. It was a hilarious sight to see.
After the final picture, the teachers began to lead the kids back into the building to get ready for lunch. The fireman was waving goodbye as the little toddlers trudged toward the front doors with their red, plastic fireman hats in tow, and I didn't know what Arden's reaction would be. Would she run back to me and think we were going home? Would she cry? Would they have to carry her inside kicking and screaming? Once again, she surprised me. She lined up with her other friends and ran towards the door willingly. I stepped back out of sight and watched her from behind a parked car. She never looked back.
And there was a smile on her face the whole time.






No comments:
Post a Comment