Saturday, October 3, 2009

Fall is in the Air

It's been difficult for me to find time to blog since going back to work. Somehow, like so many other things, it gets pushed back to the bottom of my "to do" list since the basic necessities of eating, grocery shopping, laundry, etc. take priority.

School is going really well. I am almost finished with my first novel The Outsiders, and I have really enjoyed teaching it. I missed literature so much during the past six years when I was teaching at the community college. I only taught composition, and we discussed brief essays, but I haven't taught a novel in six years! At first, I almost forgot how to approach it, but it slowly started coming back to me, and now I feel comfortable again. I think that it will even be a better unit next year once I can change a few things and improve what worked and didn't work. School is flying by, and I can't believe that the first quarter ends in 1 1/2 weeks with the first report card already.

Fall is already here, and the leaves are starting to turn colors very slightly. The air is very cool in the mornings, and you almost have to wear a jacket before 10 a.m. I love this time of year, and it's been fun to pull out my long sleeved clothing and sweaters. Stuart is enjoying football season and is watching the Razorbacks play right now! I have enjoyed doing some garage sale shopping this month, and I got a few good deals today at some nearby neighborhood sales. I found Arden several Gymboree items and a pair of Lelli Kelly shoes and a pair of Primigi shoes for .75 cents each! If you know these boutique brands for girls, then you know what a deal I scored! I also got 3 infant Cabbage Patch dolls for Arden that were .50 cents each, and they still had tags attached. She has really gotten into baby dolls lately, and we didn't have any of those types of toys from the boys. She has carried them around all day and rocked them, fed them, and acted very much like a little mama.

Arden is still doing great at her daycare, and we've now finished four full weeks at the new school! She hasn't been sick one day since we moved here there, so I am thankful for that. I know that illness will strike at some point, but I am glad to know that it isn't a constant thing for her so far. I am planning on taking a sick day next week in order to take all three kids to the pediatrician to get flu shots during the first week they are giving them, plus I will be taking both boys to the dentist for cleanings. It is more of a challenge to fit all these necessary appointments into a routine with a job, and I will have to start getting our appointments coordinated for the next round with summer and Christmas breaks.

Stuart and I will be starting to lead a new body life (ie: community group) with our church every other Sunday night, and we kick that off next Sunday. We have three other families whom we know that all wanted to do a Sunday night group, and we live near each other. I am excited to be in a group with these families since it will give us a natural opportunity to build deeper friendships here in Bentonville.

Stuart's birthday is this week on October 9, so give him a hard time if you see him or talk to him!

No comments: