Whew, what a week it has been!
One big thing happened this week; I'm moving Arden to a different daycare. Yep, only three weeks into it, and I just don't feel that it will get better . . . or better fast enough. Basically, I just think that she can't handle a room with 14 toddlers in it, even though they have two teachers, and it meets the state ratio of at least 7:1 (or something like that). Overall, fourteen kids means more aggression, more fighting, more biting, and more germs.
So, I am leaving the fancy castle daycare with its security systems, doors with codes, wooden floors, indoor climbing room, and luxurious playgrounds for a much more modest center that is run by my school district and right next door (as in I can walk there in 2 minutes) from my junior high. They share a parking lot, in fact. She might not have the newest building with the turrets on top, but hopefully she will be taken care of better. That's what counts, you know? I got suckered in by appearances because the other facility wooed me with its poshness. The BMWs parked in front helped reassure me that the rich people wouldn't settle for mediocre care. However, in Arden's situation, it just hasn't been a good fit. I tried to overlook some of the disorganization of the room and the fact that every day I had to hunt for all her belongings that were strewn all over the room. But then, it started. Yep, seven bad bites in four days was pretty bad. It was worse that the teachers never even noticed it happened.Every day, I saw the bad bites and had to report them. Then, she got the flu this week and has been out since Tuesday. So, I had had enough.
I had visited this other center earlier, and it was down to these two when I made my original choice. I revisited it today, and I see so many more benefits to it now. The class has six kids! That, in itself, is enough to jump up and down for. Hopefully, she won't be eaten alive there, or at least the occasional bite will be noticed and cared for. Also, we are hoping she will get sick less often with less kids in the room.
I don't know for sure if I'm making the right choice, and so much of her experience can't be known until you actually start attending the program. One person's good experience doesn't mean that your experience will be the same based on your child's personality and the individual teachers. I wouldn't say that her former school was bad for every child in every room there, but it wasn't good for her. From what I know, I love the new teacher, and I can walk over every day on my prep period or lunch to check on her. Believe me, I will. This teacher does art and various craft projects with the kids every day and has student's artwork on the walls. Why didn't I notice that before instead of only seeing the age of the older walls?
I'm learning that appearance isn't everything. What is beautiful on the outside is often shallow and deceiving. What matters is the heart, in all circumstances. I need to work on that one too. But for now, I'm praying that the heart of this new school is better for my little girl.
Thursday, September 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






1 comment:
oh wow I can't believe you are having to deal with that. I hope the other school will be better. I can't believe 7 bites in 4 days!!! Good Luck! I will be praying for you all.
Post a Comment