We had another large snow on Thursday night and Friday. It began with sleet on Thursday night, and we accumulated around an inch of that. Then on Friday, it snowed literally all day until around 9 at night. It was beautiful to watch, and at times it was really heavy with large snowflakes. It reminded me a lot of when I lived in Colorado where snow like that is common. We ended up with about 5 inches of snow on top of the ice. Needless to say, no one was able to get out on Friday or Saturday. We were stocked up with food, and I don't think many people lost power since we got more snow than ice (compared to the huge ice storm last January). Stuart bought a snow shovel before this snow, and we actually shoveled part of our driveway. This is the first snow shovel we've owned in our entire marriage, so you can tell that the weather is different here than in central Arkansas! Stuart is already talking about getting a 4-wheel drive vehicle as his next car!
I have enjoyed being home with the kids on Friday and today. I think we will probably resume school tomorrow (Tuesday), but today is already our seventh snow day this month! I know that people are upset that school has closed so much because all the days will probably be added onto the school year and push back the date that summer vacation can start. I'm already looking at my last teacher work day as June 10 which is very late. However, I've actually appreciated the snow days! As a working mom this year, I've enjoyed reconnecting with my kids for more frequent breaks and getting projects done around the house without having to wait until Spring Break! Since Arden is in daycare this year, I have missed being with her as much as I was during the week last year, and the snow days have given us lots of time to play and watch Dora together! I don't mind having less summer in order to see my children more frequently along the way. For me, it's been a nice break and a way to reenergize for the rest of the school year.
I can't believe that it's already February today! Wow! I guess most of January was taken up with seven snow days and two large storms. Stuart and I have a sitter and are planning to attend the Todd Agnew concert here in town at a local church on Friday night. I plan to do our taxes in the next week, and I hope we get back a little bit of a refund. Then, the students are out again on Feb. 15-16 while teachers have professional development. We don't have any big Valentine's Day plans, but we might order Mama Fu's for take-out and bring it in.
I've been getting two flooring bids the past couple weeks and trying to figure out the cost of getting wood flooring installed downstairs in our house. I am missing my wood floors terribly since I loved them so much in our last house. Light colored carpet everywhere is NOT kid-friendly! It looks like I've decided on a local, family owned business to do the installation, but no one can get my wood for as low a price as several internet suppliers. They are quoting me $1.75/SF less on the exact brand and style of wood that I know I want because a good friend has it in her house. I want the 5 inch, distressed style planks that work well with kids and pets since they won't show scratches and nicks as much. So, I'm debating if I go through the trouble of having the wood sent by freight to my house where I have to arrange to have it unloaded, meet the delivery truck, and inspect it myself for damage. Right now, I think I will try it for the first flooring project which involves laying wood in the hallway, dining room, and office, since I will save $800 on those rooms alone just by purchasing the wood direct from Georgia. Depending on how much money we can save, I would like to get the first part of the wood flooring done before school gets out for summer.
Well, I'd better start my crock pot meal, so that we can eat tonight! Happy snow day!
Monday, February 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment