We are winding down the school year. Our last "full" week is over, and now we are into the snow make-up days.
Next week we will have four days of class, but two of them are final exam days. Then, we will end with the last two final exam days on June 7 and 8. Nothing about next week will be normal with locker clean out, talent show, final exam review, and all the other scheduling changes that end the school year.
So, I ended this week sort of feeling like the end was near. My students did CD project presentations during the last two days which went along with their literature circle novel from fourth quarter. The songs were fun to listen to, and it was a nice way to end the week. Except that it made me a bit reflective and teary when I listened to some of the sad songs and thought about how my time with these kids is winding down quickly.
I think I'm realizing that the big difference between my former school and my present job is the ability to continue close relationships with students after they exit my class. I don't know what next year will by like, so maybe I will still stay in touch with some of my former students with whom I've bonded this year. However, it seems like it isn't going to be the same. At my former school, I taught upper high school classes, and I taught electives for juniors and seniors. Students could have me as their sophomore year English teacher, then they could take one of my elective classes in their junior or senior year, and I would teach them again. Frequently, that occurred with those students whom I was close to, and it allowed me more time to mentor and teach them. Then, they graduated, but we could still stay in touch via Facebook or email because they were adults, and our relationship could evolve into friendship. I have many 20-something students whose weddings I've attended, Christmas cards I've received, etc. and it is meaningful to me to see where they end up in life and see the full circle of their lives.
Now that I'm teaching such younger students, it isn't the same. They will move on next year and never get to take another class with me as their teacher. Since the district moves them to a different building in ninth grade, I won't be able to pass them in the halls, have them run into my room for advice between classes, watch their participation in pep rallies, or write their college rec letters. So, I feel that my season of influence with these amazing students is coming to a more permanent end.
I hope I said enough. I hope I taught enough life lessons. I hope I shaped their values.
I'll probably shed some tears next week as they rush out of the building towards the sunshine of summer.
I will say a prayer that these amazing students will continue to choose wisely, live lovingly, give generously, and achieve greatly.
Friday, May 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment