Saturday, June 19, 2010

Surgery

School got out about a week ago, and I don't really feel in the summer mode yet. I had to return to school for a full-day conference this week to get my summer professional development hours in, and then I had to go back to school the next day to grade make-up final exams from students who missed the original exam date.

Stuart's mom spent the week at our house, so she helped watch the kids while I wrapped up work duties, and I used the time with her here to do a lot of appointments that were more easily done without taking three children with me! All the kids are out of childcare for the summer, and Arden will return to her daycare/preschool during the first week of August to get back in a routine before I return the following week for inservice days. I took Owen to the pediatrician for a check-up, and both boys went to the dentist and got haircuts.

I had a follow-up appointment on Tuesday with an oral maxillofacial surgeon. After my dental appointment three weeks ago, the dentist saw an abnormal shadow on my x-ray and referred me to the oral surgeon to get it checked out as a possible cyst in my jaw bone. The surgeon did a head CT scan which confirmed that there is a partially solid/partially fluid mass inside my lower mandible in the chin area. It is around 1 inch wide by 3/4 inch thick. It is now classified as a "mixed tumor" and not just a cyst since it is partially solid. It is impeding circulation to my lower front teeth, and two of my teeth's roots are embedded in the mass. I have experienced slight teeth sensitivity in those teeth over the past couple of months, which is a result of the growth. The surgeon said it must come out, and it will be sent to pathology as a precaution. I have oral surgery set up for Friday, June 25, under sedation. I will have the growth removed and end up with about a 2 inch incision with stitches inside my mouth. He said the recovery/pain would be similar to wisdom teeth removal.

Please pray that the biopsy results show a benign mass, so that no further treatment or surgery is needed. Also, please pray the this procedure goes smoothly with no infections, complications, and a fast recovery. I think I will have to wear an external taped dressing on my chin for 4-5 days to support my chin muscles as they heal, since he said he has to cut through them to get to my jaw bone. So, I might not be leaving the house much for the week after surgery!

No comments: