Monday, August 23, 2010

Getting in the Groove

I have been back to work full-time since August 6 which seems like a life time ago! We had weeks of endless meetings (or so it seems) which always confirms to me that I would die if I had an office job that revolved around sitting and attending meetings on a permanent basis. I much prefer running my own "classroom show" and being up and moving all day long.

I have now had three days with my students, and I think it will be a good bunch. However, most seventh graders are scared enough for the first few weeks that it's hard to tell their true colors this early! ha! Right now, they all seem pretty eager and/or intimidated. I finally begin teaching literature tomorrow after three days of rules, policies, ice breaker games, library orientation, etc. Every year at this time, I feel like I am drowning in paper work. There are so many forms to collect from the signed syllabus contract to the emergency cards to the health forms. Then, it's my job to check off the items for each student, alphabetize cards, and get things turned into the office. With all our technology, there must surely be a better way than this! I think teachers in the 1950s were sorting back-to-school forms in this exact manner. Maybe if I figure out a better way, I can hit the jackpot and invent something that will revolutionize the teaching world like the Post-It!

I've decided to try to start up a mentoring program with my students and a couple of classes at an elementary school that is right across the street from my campus. I'm hoping to get enough interest for three classes to let my students "adopt" their younger kids and be "big brothers/sisters" to promote literacy by coming into their classroom once every quarter. I'm also starting a community service emphasis each quarter with my classes this year to encourage them to see giving as a normal part of their expected life. For one week during first quarter, we will begin by collecting items for Snack Packs for Kids, then each class will adopt a family during second quarter to purchase Christmas presents for them. I hope it will be a good experience for my students.

Well, I need to get to bed soon. I will try to do a better job of updating my blog! I think that after next week, I will not have any more evening meetings to attend which will help. This Thursday is our school's open house where we meet the parents, and it is always fun but tiring. Believe me, in pre-AP classes EVERY parent attends, so it's a packed house!

The kids are doing well in school, although Owen has gotten in trouble for talking already. I can't imagine where he gets that! ha. I hope they have a great year and have teachers who will pour into them lots of attention and inspiration, as that's what I strive to do each day to 75 other kiddos. Thankfully, Arden is readjusting to her return to preschool very well, and it is 100% better than this time last year! She hasn't had a single potty accident at school while in underwear! She's even stayed dry overnight a few nights recently, so we may be wearing underwear at nights soon, too! I'm thankful that potty training was so easy with her. Arden hasn't been overly clingy and crying in the evenings, and she loves her friends and school. I'm thankful for those wonderful ladies who are called to teach 3 year olds!

No comments: