Well, it's that time of year again, and we are getting ready to head back to school. I think this was the shortest summer ever, so I am still not quite ready to let it go! We had an amazing family vacation to Washington D.C. over the 4th of July and were away for ten days. This was our first family road trip of this length, and it was really fun. The kids did amazingly well on the 20 hour drive each way, and we enjoyed seeing sights like the arch in St. Louis and Gettysburg along the way since we were driving. We were invited to stay in a friend's apartment for free, so that was so convenient! We were only blocks from the Capitol and the Smithsonian museums.
Arden started pre-K yesterday at a new building with a new teacher, and she has been crying at drop-off. I have to begin attending teacher meetings next week, so I wanted her to have a few days to acclimate before I have to take her even earlier. I was hoping it would be an easier adjustment than this, but she really doesn't know anyone in her class right now, and she misses the security and comfort of her old building. She is still in the Bentonville School District program, but she was too old to attend in her previous location which only serves birth-3 year olds. I didn't have a choice about her being promoted to the pre-K facility, and I'm sure she would be like this at any new school. I am hoping it gets easier soon!
The boys will attend a week of day camp next week while I am in teacher inservice meetings, then they begin officially on August 15. Hudson will have Mr. Stolt for 2nd grade, and he is SO excited to have a male elementary teacher! Owen doesn't know his teacher assignment until next week, but he will be switching to middle school and also have a new building to navigate. He is very excited about it! Owen also signed up for competitive tackle football for the first time and had a skills test last night for team placement. He feels he did well and didn't have any problems auditioning in front of a panel of coaches! I am hoping the heat tapers off, so that practices are not too hot or demanding, but that is the "mom" in me! Stuart says we need to let him toughen up and follow his dreams which are to be an NFL player at this point! Ha
I am wrapping up tagging all my consignment clothes for the upcoming Rhea Lana sale and hope to finish that today, then I need to complete Arden's baby book before I go back to school. The good news from school that I found out yesterday is that I do not have to float this year! That is where a teacher teaches classes in several different rooms. I have room shared for the past two years which actually was not terrible, as I only taught one class each day in another English teacher's room. However, it will be luxury not to have a cart at all and no longer transport markers, supplies, projects, handouts, etc. up and down the crowded hallway every day!
I got a lot done on National Board Certification this summer, and I am taking a break from it for a few months to get into the routine of the new school year. I will be collecting writing samples from students this fall in order to select samples to use for my last entry where I analyze student writing. I have until March to finish the writing, and I am about 2/3 done already, so I feel good about that. I am sure I will be revising this fall as I get some professors and other NB teachers to be readers for me.
Friday, August 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment