My life as I used to know it was leisurely. I stayed home for six years and only worked part-time as an online instructor at a community college, so I set my own hours. Sure, I had 1-2 children at home and 1 in school, but I was the one who determined the pace of our family life. If we had a busy day, it was usually because I had us running errands, going to appointments, or I aggressively cleaned the house.
Fast forward. Football practice 4-5 days per week. Three kids in school programs. Homework to supervise. A full-time job. A larger house to keep clean. Did I mention football up to FIVE practices per week for a ten year old? Wow. This pace is getting a bit crazy. We have never been the ones to have our children in many (if any) activities. We made them wait until school age to play any organized sports,and then we only did Upward on a non-competitive team. I knew I didn't want the pressure. After years of begging for tackle football, we are trying it this year with the Boys Club of Benton County. Wow. It. Is. Intense. I didn't expect 12-15 hours of practice per week in 5th grade. Stuart has been going to every practice and watching, so he and Owen leave at 5:30 and usually don't get home until 8:30. Then, Owen takes a shower and goes to bed. I feel like I'm missing half my family for the whole week, and I am an only parent most nights to the younger kids. The unfortunate part (for me) is that Owen LOVES it. Stuart thinks he actually has some talent. In three seasons, he will be old enough to try out for a school team which has daily practice (and sometimes twice per day), so he needs to learn now if he ever hopes to get good enough to make the junior high team. Compared to most families, Owen is very old to finally play a real sport at age 10. The younger two kids are not even enrolled in anything. No sports or lessons for them! I can't take the stress of having every member of the family at different events all week long after I have taught school all day. I don't think it is worth it on my family life.
I hope we survive football season; maybe I will actually learn the rules (ha!). I have thought a cornerback was the same thing as a quarterback! Hopefully, it will be good experience, and Owen will learn life skills about responsibility, team work, dedication, and hard work. I think those lessons would help him develop immensely. Somehow, he does seem much older since he started playing football and began middle school last week!
When I picked him up from school the other day,he was shooting baskets in the gym with some friends. I saw him make three long distance shots in a row, and he won the shooting game they were playing. On the way home, he mentioned that he is getting pretty good at basketball and might want to try it this winter when football ends. Lord have mercy . . .
Monday, August 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment