Monday, September 5, 2011

Frugal vs. Splurges

I buy a lot of things used; my friends usually tease me if they know me well and ask if any new purchase came from "the thrift store"! All of Arden's shoes, pajamas, clothing, winter coat, etc. just came from a children's consignment sale. I just bought three twin sheet sets from garage sales ($3, $7, and $6 per set for super cute children's sheets). One was Ralph Lauren! I have bought used shoes for myself and the kids, if the brand is good, and they are in good condition.

However, I do splurge on items and buy some things new. I like name-brands, and I am not one of those people who wears clothing that is styled from the 1970's just because the whole outfit cost $3 at Goodwill. So, here are a few of my tips:

1. shop consignment and thrift stores regularly. The merchandise changes all the time. I find super cute home accessories from time to time. I always find good books for me and the kids (or my classroom) for .25 cents to a dollar for a hardcover. My favorite ones are Goodwill, The Salvation Army store on Walnut, and Helping Hands on 28th.

2. Consign and shop in large children's consignment sales like Rhea Lana to purchase a large amount of items for young children (and girls will have more in larger sizes than boys)

3. Ebay. This is where I go first when I want some particular brand or a particular shoe size. The per item price will be higher than consignment or thrift stores, but you can get a specific item. For example, I will do a search for "stride rite 10.5" to look for used shoes for Arden. With boys, I will typically have to buy new shoes at their ages now, but I can sometimes find NIB pairs on Ebay cheaper than the same item in the stores. Sheet sets are sold on Ebay for great prices (both new and used). Boutique brands like Matilda Jane, for example, resell well on Ebay, if you are willing to splurge for a special outfit for a photograph session, but it will still be about half of the new retail price. Every time I want to purchase a clothing/shoe/accessory item new, I search for it on Ebay first to see if it is available for less. I even order my salon hair products I love on Ebay for about 1/2 off, and they are new and sealed. I even bought my Delta kitchen faucet fixures from Ebay (new in box) for half of retail!

4. Discount Vouchers/websites: I get regular/daily emails to a variety of discount programs and buy vouchers for items that I would use, usually at 50% off retail. These sites are places like Groupon, Living Social, or NWA Piggy Deal. They have really good discounts on restaurants and services. Also, I shop at www.onekingslane.com for similar discounts. They hold sales each week that highlight certain high end brands, and you can find good deals on brands like Peacock Alley sheets etc. I have bought 6 items there in the past year at One Kings Lane, and I usually buy at least one voucher monthly for some service/restaurant from the other daily deal sites.

5. Stores that have good sales: I have to shop quickly and on sale when I do buy myself clothing. I like Belk a lot because it is smaller than a Dillards. I also love Ann Taylor Loft. They have wonderful promotions and sales. With the store credit card, I get extra promotions/discounts plus a teacher's discount, even on sale items. I always get everything there over half off the retail price. Since it is a small store, I can get in and out quickly, and I know what size I wear. They can order me sizes they don't have and get them shipped to my house for free! I also stay out of clothing stores, in general,unless I have a specific item that I am really needing to purchase. I don't have time to browse malls now that I am teaching full-time, but I also find that it stops me from making a lot of impulse purchases.

6. Coupon codes: before I order from any online retailer, I always do a search for valid coupon codes for that business. Routinely, I can find codes that get me 10-20% off at checkout or give me free shipping. I recently found a valid coupon code for $25 off at www.erincondren.com and purchased the popular life planner for half price by using the code.

7. Outlets: These are probably my least favorite because they really aren't any cheaper than regular stores with sales. However, I do love upscale handbag outlets like Coach because department stores won't have these bags on sale very often. I purchased two Coach purses last fall for only 1/3 each of the retail cost. The quality of the leather is worth the cost, and I got them for only a little more than leather purses from Target by going to the outlet. The closest outlet to me is in Branson, MO.

8. Friends: See if you can find a friend who has children older than yours in the same gender, then you can get free (or cheap) hand-me-downs. I have been blessed to have a friend who gives Arden a lot of her daughter's outgrown clothing. I know of other times I have "shopped" from friend's clothing, and they have let friends know they were selling clothing privately before they sent it to a consignment sale. They would price it more cheaply, and friends got the first picks of the nicer items.

My goal is always to decorate well, look nice, and find a bargain. I can't enjoy my home or my kids' clothing if I am worried about how much money I spent on them. Try a few tips, and see how it goes. Once you see the savings, you will be addicted!

No comments: