Friday, June 27, 2008

What were they thinking?


Boys. I don't understand them. They are impulsive, wild, physical, risk takers. I've taken many parenting Bible studies on how to parent boys. Yes, there was Real Boys, Raising a Modern Day Knight, Wild at Heart, and Bringing up Boys.

I still don't get it.

I try to set boundaries, rules, limits. Once I've set one, they might obey it, but in their boredom, they create a need for a new rule that I never even thought I'd need ("You do not put things in your brother's nose!")

Here are some of my recent experiences where I asked myself, "What were they thinking!?!":

I don't understand why two boys would try to urinate in the toilet at the same time, in some sort of race.

I don't understand why it is an immediate response to run away from Mom when she is stranded with the cumbersome baby stroller behind a set of heavy, double doors and proceed to run up and down all the aisles of the public library.

I don't understand why it is fun to jump on a couch after numerous punishments for doing so.

I don't understand why boys would unbuckle their seatbelts and decide to tackle each other while in a moving vehicle that is going 65 MPH down the highway, resulting in the mother having to pull the car over.

I don't understand why boys jump off the top bunk of a bunkbed to try to land on a beanbag chair.

I don't understand why boys would climb onto the top of our new minivan while it was parked in the garage and pretend it was a mountain.

I don't understand why the couch cushions have to be thrown off the couch every time they play any game.

I don't understand why boys think potty language is so funny.

I don't understand why boys have to take off their shirt and/or their pants when playing indoors.

I don't understand why boys would try to throw the bowling balls at each other when bowling.

I don't understand why boys find it hilarious to chase each other around the house and try to pull the other's shorts down.

I don't understand why every toy becomes a weapon.

I don't understand why there is no indoor voice.

I guess I don't understand because I'm a girl . . . but I'm learning to appreciate the differences!

No comments: