Sunday, March 22, 2009

A Sentimental Project



Today I tried using vinyl lettering for the first time. I saw this idea on someone else's blog, and then I found out that my new neighbor sells vinyl lettering as a home business. I was able to see some lettering she had put on her own walls up close, and that was all it took to fall in love with this new craze and try it on my own.

We have the perfect doorway into our greatroom that is almost 12 feet long with ten foot ceilings. It was just crying for some lettering to go above it! After deliberating with Stuart for some time about which Bible verse to use, we finally came up with one that we both liked.

It is Numbers 6:24-26. This was the Old Testament blessing that my father prayed over me and my siblings with his feeble hand on our heads on Christmas Day 2006 as he was dying of cancer. It was one of the last conversations he was able to have before he died on January 11, 2007.

The passage reads:
"May the Lord bless you and protect you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his face and give you his peace."

The lettering rubs on the walls and can be removed without any damage to the paint. I was pleased that it wasn't very hard to apply, and the most challenging part was making sure the lettering was straight, and this wouldn't be as difficult with a shorter project.

It makes me happy to see these words on the wall and remember my father's dying words to me. Until now, it probably would have been too difficult to see them on the wall and be reminded of the fresh pain of his death. But after two years now, I can remember the closeness of those final moments with my father and rejoice in His heavenly existence that is without pain.

The wall was just long enough to hold this entire passage, and it looks like it was meant for this space. I'm so thankful that my dad left me with these words.

I love you, Dad.

No comments: