Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The answer is "No"

God seems to have given a definitive answer to my quest for teaching jobs, and the answer is "No." I applied with three of the major districts in my area who had all posted new openings for a high school English teacher, and I did not get a call from any of them for interviews. Now, the openings are filled.

It is discouraging since I felt that my renewed desire to go back to the classroom was a sign that God was directing me towards that goal, and obviously it was not. I am now praying that my sections at the community college will fill, so that I can resume the same online teaching assignment there. Right now, enrollment is low, but I have until August 14 until a decision is made to close a low section.

I am disappointed that my dreams of "the perfect job" didn't materialize, but it will be less work this year and more time with Arden. It was suggested to me that I would have a better chance of getting a job in the local high school here if I start subbing, so that I can make more connections with administrators at the high school. That is not exactly my dream job. Been there. Done that. However, it might be something that I will eventually have to do in order to use my degree. It would entail moving Arden to another childcare program for 2-3 days per week (at an increased cost) instead of using mother's day out. The mother's day out programs usually end by 2 or 2:30, and the high school doesn't get out until 3:35. I will spend this year praying about what to do for next year as far as changing Arden's childcare to possibly sub next year on a part-time basis. Until then, I'm just leaving my application on file with the district in "active" status.

I know that God is the one who opens and closes the doors, and we have had many jobs close with Stuart in the past which were huge disappointments. Later, we realized that it was because something else came along which was a much better fit. I am trusting God to provide for our family's financial needs and use me as a teacher where and when He opens the door.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Hi Michelle-
I am sorry to hear about the job opportunity not working out. Yes, I can see how my post yesterday encouraged you. Let's get together soon.