I left the high school classroom six years ago. I had absolutely loved my job at Pulaski Academy in Little Rock where I had taught for eight years. I had devoted co-workers, dedicated students, and freedom to develop my own curriculum. It was the perfect situation. However, circumstances changed, and at that time I had Owen in daycare, and Stuart was given the opportunity to take a job in another county. His new job required that we move to the county where he worked which would be about 45 minutes from Pulaski Academy.
At that time, God impressed upon me that it was time to make a move towards staying home since we were trying to have more children. It was one of the scariest times in my life because quitting my job meant risking financial security. I didn't know how we would make it month to month without my income. I had planned on sending my children to Pulaski Academy and teaching on the same campus where my children went to school, and it was a sad time to see that dream come to an end. Ultimately, this was the best decision for me and for all the members of my family, so I submitted my resignation and ended my final year of teaching in Little Rock.
Six years later, I have had a very great experience teaching part-time composition at a community college. God blessed me with this opportunity the very next semester after I left Pulaski Academy, and it has provided the extra income we needed in order for me to stay home. I have taught both night classes and online classes, and I am now telecommuting for the college by teaching only online classes which has enabled me to keep the job after our move to Northwest Arkansas. It has been a flexible schedule which has offered me the option of teaching anywhere from one to four classes each semester, depending on my availability. I don't have to keep office hours, attend faculty meetings, or sponsor extra clubs or activities after hours. All in all, it has been perfect for those times when I've been home with sick children or a newborn baby. I can work in my pajamas and don't need a sub to cover my classes for a sick day. I haven't had to use full-time daycare for Hudson or Arden so far, and I've only used a Mother's Day Out program to help give me some child-free time for work.
However, I am growing restless. I can't quite put my finger on it, and I don't know if I am ready to jump into the full-time work force again, but I know that I miss a lot of what I had at Pulaski Academy. Maybe my feelings stem partially from living in a new area without any established relationships, so working exclusively from home feels more isolating than it was before. I miss the relational aspect of working with high school students and seeing them on a daily basis. I miss having coworkers that I see in person and share my life with. I miss teacher inservice training and attending College Board AP Conferences where I could be inspired by other great teachers from all over the country. I miss teaching literature. I miss thinking of creative projects that could involve my students in a novel. I miss seeing students' eyes light up when they really understand a concept.
For the first time in six years, I am beginning to feel like I want to go back into the classroom. I recently sent in my resume and application materials to two local, public school districts who have posted openings for a secondary English teacher. I'm not expecting an interview, and I haven't heard from either of them yet. Teaching jobs are few and far between in this area, and I've heard many stories about how difficult it is to get a job in local districts. However, it's a baby step in that direction. . . towards returning to my roots. Hudson starts kindergarten this year, and Arden is out of the baby stage and is already showing that she is capable of time away from me. I think that I will continue to apply for local openings as I see them, and I know that God will open the door when it is the right time for our family.
I don't want to return to work too soon. I don't want to do so at the expense of my family life. I am praying that God will give me another great opportunity that will offer me more creative outlets for speaking, teaching, and mentoring in His time. I'm excited to see what it will be and when it will happen. So, for now, I'm returning to my part-time job at the college as an online instructor and plan to continue with them until I get another job offer which might be one to four years from now.
I'm praying that my heart is sensitive to the right direction. The salary would relieve a lot of financial stress which we feel about saving for retirement, saving for college, replenishing our emergency fund, and having the means to do some things we can't afford to do with the children. But money isn't everything. God might not want me to leave my part-time job until Arden starts school. I desire His will over mine. I've done my part by applying for openings as I will continue to do, and I am praying that God will show me the right setting where He wants to use me.
Tuesday, July 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment