Saturday, January 2, 2010

Design on a Dime

I like nice things and have a designer taste for my home, but I've always been on a tight budget for decorating. I usually only have a couple hundred dollars at any time to spend in a room, and I've never hired a decorator. I don't even know where to shop to find a sofa that would cost thousands or more. In fact, I am the person who pulled off an entire wedding for $1750 which included the dress! Granted, that was back in 1990, but it was still dirt cheap then. It wasn't fancy or elaborate, but I didn't want to accrue debt for a one-day event (that's my practical side). Now that I've been married for almost 20 years, I don't think I would change my wedding at all except for one thing: I would spend more on photography. That's really the only object of the wedding budget that endures past the one day ceremony. Well, I might consent to better accomodations for our honeymoon since the $35 per night "cottage" was a bit, um, questionable!

Many people comment that they like my home decor and are amazed when I share that the majority of my home furnishings were purchased used, repainted, or handmade. I don't decorate fancy, but I tend to do a mix of traditional/Pottery Barn/Country French. I tend to use approximately 60-70% used/recycled items and then mix it with around 30-40% new, more upscale items (still on sale) that I adore and can't find used. I think that mix helps make the room seem more pulled together, and I like to have one or two "focus" items in the room that are often new items. Then, the cheap stuff appears like it is valuable too! I want my house to look like Pottery Barn, but not be expensive!

My daughter's room is one of my favorite rooms in my house. I think it is because it is the first time I was able to really go all "girly" in one space after living with a houseful of boys! Arden's room is a perfect example of how to mix new plus thrift store/used items. Now, I'm not saying her room is the best, fanciest nursery that I've ever been in, but I can guarantee that it's much less expensive!

If you are trying to branch out to use thrift store or used items, maybe these ideas will inspire you to try it!



This wall is Arden's window, rocker, and crib. The bedding is the inspiration piece for the entire room, as most nurserys are. I found the beddings first . . on Ebay. Yes, it was used. However, it was custom-made, decorator fabric bedding with lots of details like cording in a contrasting fabric and a two layer dust ruffle that is 18 inches long, so it reaches the floor. I didn't see it before I bought it, but I saw a lot of pictures of it on the internet and emailed a few other questions to the seller. I was thrilled with it! The auction included the bedding, lampshade (which is currently not is use until she gets a nightstand), and the slipcover for the child's rocking chair. I paid $150 for all those pieces. I've also found used, custom made dining room drapes (with pinch-pleating!) that I bought on Ebay, so it is worth checking out for custom fabric treatments. I like to benefit from rich people who are redecorating and getting rid of perfectly stylish items!

The crib has been used by SEVEN children, and it's still going strong. It is a Simmons crib that was well-made and sturdy. It has caster wheels and two drop down sides, so it is functional. It was actually my sister-in-law's crib who let me borrow it (free) for my children. Yes, it is now dinged up and has lots of chipped areas, but you really can't tell with the bedding in. Sure, I would have loved a $1000 wrought iron crib with finials (Corsican . . . *sigh*), but I couldn't justify that expense when this free crib works fine and was a traditional style. If you have to choose, I would buy upper scale bedding and a basic (good and functional) crib. The bedding makes the crib and the room more than the crib by itself. Also, consider a crib that would work with both genders, so you can use it multiple times. Craigslist is a good place to look for used baby furniture, since a lot of people sell nice cribs after they are done with them. Don't let a few scuffs or nicks deter you because it will look like that a month after your toddler gets through with it anyway!

The glider was purchased new for Hudson. I made the decision because I was practical, and this Dutailer glider allows you to order replacement cushions in different fabrics. So, instead of buying a fully-upholstered denim rocker for Hudson's nursery, I just switched out his cushions and ordered new toile ones for Arden at 1/3 the cost of a second chair. It's held up great and is very comfortable. Plus, it's slimmer than a fully padded chair, and my nursery rooms are always a bit small. I try to think about how to "repurpose" new items before I buy them, so that they can be moved elsewhere in the house when my needs change. That helps to make the cost of a new item more practical. I've used this chair with two children and in two different nurseries for almost six years!

My two "focus" items which were where I spend 60% of the entire budget for the room are the custom toile drapes and the handpainted canvas above the bed. The drapes were a necessity in my last house because the nursery had a room where sun shone in early in the morning and heated the room. Arden would never sleep in there during the day and was up at 5:00 a.m. in the summer. So, I got these drapes made to coordinate with her bedding and had them lined in blackout fabric, so she would sleep. My boys never had fancy drapes and weren't bothered by light as a baby. The canvas is 36" square, and it was painted by a friend in Little Rock, so it was actually cheaper than one might cost if you ordered it from a catalog. If you know student artists or art teachers, they are good resources to paint custom canvases or murals are a reasonable cost. The cute wooden rocking horse was a Craigslist find for $20, too!



This wall is next to the crib and includes the closet doors. It isn't very exciting since this wall is mainly a closet, but I did get the cute peg shelf at Land of Nod catalog. I love their items, and they have good sales. The painted sign above the closet says, "Dreams do come True," and I ordered it off Ebay for less than in a boutique.



This wall is across from the crib, and it is also full of used items. The main hanging shelf was a handmade wedding gift from one of Stuart's relatives. It started off stained light brown pine, but I eventually painted and distressed it shabby chic. Often, if you can visualize an item in a different color, you can repurpose many thrift store finds by painting them and changing the hardware. I already had everything in the hutch from previous nurseries, my childhood items, or other decor from around my house. Use what you have! The prints on the left are from an old Beatrix Potter book from a thrift store that I cut up and framed. Framing book art is a great idea for children's rooms. The bulletin board was also from a thrift store, and I used a staple gun to attach coordinating fabric from Arden's bedding to cover it. The child's chair was slipcovered with the cover that came with her bedding from Ebay, and I found the chair underneath it at a children's consignment sale for $12.00 (it's actually an ugly blue check), then I simply used upholstery tacks to keep the slipcover in place and make it fit. The bookcase was purchased new since I wanted something sturdy, and it was from Land of Nod catalog.



The final wall is Arden's new play kitchen area. The kitchen was purchased used from Craigslist. The clock is a Storytime clock from Timeworks. They retail around $85, but I found it used on Ebay for $20. I made the square plaque myself from a vintage ceiling tile! I also have one upstairs in our bonus room, and I get a lot of compliments on them. Basically, you need to find a 24 inch square vintage ceiling tile. Where, you ask? I found both mine on Ebay (search: vintage ceiling tile), but flea markets often carry them. I painted over both of mine, then distressed them again, but you can leave them really old and rusty if you want. This one is over 100 years old and came from a church in Nebraska. It cost $40 with shipping on Ebay. I got a piece of wood cut to a 30 inch square and painted it pink (my plaque upstairs is stained dark brown for the wood part to look more Pottery Barn). Then I simply centered the tin to have a three inch border and nailed it on! There are usually holes in the tin edges that I used to attach it. I attached picture hanger screws and wire on the back and threw it up on the wall. I've seen similar decor at designer stores for around $200! It's a pretty cheap statement piece if you need a large 30 inch diameter object to fill a blank wall.

When tackling a design project, select your big items first (furniture, bedding) and see if you can find any of those used. You might have to look for months! Craigslist is great for furniture, and Ebay is good for fabric items that can be shipped. Then, add new and old accessories to finish the look! Remember to always have at least two places any new item can be used in your home, so that you can move things around when you desire or if you move to a new home. That makes everthing work longer, and it gives you the option to mix up your decor when you get tired of it without purchasing much else!

For more design inspiration, check out The Nester's blog since she shares my philosophy and gives me lots of good ideas! Her house is amazing and on a budget!

No comments: