Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Best 2009 Thrift Store Treasures!

So . . . I'm a compulsive thrift-store, Craigslist, garage sale, Ebaying shopper! I can't help but think that when I pay for something new that I could have saved so much money had I found it used! Not everything can be found used, but I have had a lot of good luck finding some deals this year. My rule of thumb is to look for several months for certain furniture items used before considering a furniture store, if I still haven't found something. Most of my decorative accessories in my home are repainted, recycled thrift store items that I've found on my many treasure hunts. That's part of the fun of it -- there's no telling what you will find!

Here are a few of my favorite finds from 2009!

Glass hurricane, $2.00, and pewter silver platter which I painted with chalkboard paint, $7.00


Handcarved wooden bird, signed on the bottom from an art gallery, $1.00 (Stuart hates this bird!)


Primigi girl's shoes, .75 cents!!


Stride Rite mary jane shoes, $2.00


Willow Tree wooden figurine, this one is over 14 inches tall, $8.00


Gail Pittman, handpainted platter with iron stand, $8.00


Black and Decker coffee maker with timer, everything works! $2.50


This year, I did have some success finding larger furniture pieces which are mainly on Craigslist. I use thrift stores for clothing, decorative home items, toys, and books. Craigslist is good for larger items like furniture, electronics, or baby furniture. I search Ebay when I'm in need of something specific and don't have time to search for months in thrift stores to hope I find it, like if I want to buy Arden a pair of used Stride Rite shoes in size 7. This year, I've found the following by using Craigslist:
- television
- 9 foot tall silk tree in large decorative planter
- La-Z-Boy chair with matching ottoman (down filled cushions)
- wooden kitchen playset for Arden's room
- cream sleigh bed (twin) for Arden when we move her out of the crib
- two leather bar stools
- full mattress set for guestroom

I can't wait to see what I stumble across in 2010! Happy bargain shopping!

2 comments:

Laurie said...

I LOVE all your finds!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want you to go with me this Summer to some of those places.

Christy said...

I am so impressed and inspired!