
It is my yearly tradition to read the kids The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson during the month of December. I try to read one chapter a night for the week before Christmas since the book only has seven chapters.
It is a delightful, funny book that also touches on the real meaning of Christmas as well as such themes as forgiveness, redemption, love, friendship, and thankfulness. This year, I started reading one chapter out loud each day to my 7th grade English students since we are now counting down to the last seven days before Christmas break. I read chapter one today (complete with voices for all the characters), and they seemed to really like it! There was lots of laughing out loud, and it made me feel like we were all getting into the Christmas spirit. Next week, I'm adding a week-long holiday unit with the classic holiday short stories "A Christmas Memory" and "The Gift of the Magi." I'm going to try to work in some video clips from "Christmas Vacation," "A Christmas Story," and "Grinch" to go along with the themes. Hopefully, learning and fun will be had by all!
If you have never read this little book, I encourage you to try it this year with your own house! It's so hilarious and touching. I promise that your kids of all ages will love it.






1 comment:
I'm excited you will be introducing M to "The Gift of the Magi".
Post a Comment