We have now been in Bentonville (NW Arkansas) for two whole months! I suddenly realized this week that it is starting to feel like home now. I know my way around the area, for the most part (but I still stay in Bentonville/Rogers), and I actually know about ten people in my neighborhood. I took the kids to the neighborhood playground on Wednesday after school since it was almost 70 degrees, and four other moms with their kids showed up. I had actually met all of them, and we had such a fun little "playdate" for about an hour! It was so nice to feel that I know some neighbors.
We love the church we've been visiting, and we plan to join; however, we are still trying to find the right small group that can meet Arden's needs. The church doesn't provide childcare for small groups, and the church is set up without any Sunday school hour on Sundays. So, small groups are the only way we will meet other couples and make friends! However, it's been hard to do with Arden. She is very mobile now (walking and climbing well), so it's hard to take her to someone's house and let her roam while the adults try to do a study. The older kids all go upstairs and entertain themselves in a bonus room, but it's not working with the one year old! After a difficult last visit, we had to tear Arden off the staircase (which wasn't gated) and carry her kicking and screaming out of the group early. We spent the entire time chasing her around the leader's home and getting her off the stairs. We are back to square one now, and we are going to see if there is a group with more kids her age, so that maybe the leader's house is more childproofed, or we will see if any groups rotate adults to watch the younger kids etc. We aren't in a position where we can hire a sitter at our house on a weekly basis, and we'd like to get more involved in this church. Please pray we can find the right fit.
I've done a few house projects this week, after I began to feel better after having a respiratory infection for 8 days. I sewed a table runner for the dining room to match my new drapes, and I painted the stairwell and a wall of the dining room. I just love how a coat of fresh paint makes everything feel new again!
Hudson's preschool just added a weekly music class and a weekly Spanish class to his time there on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so he is ecstatic! Please continue to pray for him, as he is still having some "night terrors" and sleeping issues. We don't know if it's just due to the move and stress, or what is causing it. He never remembers it in the morning, and he seems happy the rest of the time. It's confusing and frustrating.
I've also had a good week of "bargain shopping" on Craigslist,Ebay,and at a nearby thrift store. Here's a short list of my spoils:
1. Fisher Price Loving Family Doll House $6
2. Carson McCullers novel .75 cents
3. Bandolino leather pumps $8
4. L.L. Bean polartec fleece jacket (like new!) $8
5. Subtraction Flashcards for Owen $1
6. Brown leather bar stools, 2 for $90 (reg. $150 each)
7. Merrell youth shoes for Owen (like new) $16 (reg. $55)
Everything was like new! If you haven't tried looking at your local Salvation Army or Goodwill Stores, now is the time to start! Items change daily, and another person's junk might be your treasure. Ebay and Craigslist are always places I check first for any item I might buy. Sometimes it takes awhile, but I usually see something worth checking out. I routinely buy all of my kids' shoes used. Ebay is the best place for this since I am looking for very specific brands and sizes. Owen loves Merrell shoes, and they wear really well. This is the second pair that I've found on Ebay for around $15-16 (including shipping). Can't beat that! I have no problem with buying used, especially in this economy.
Have a great weekend!
Friday, February 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment