Arden still has a double ear infection! Unfortunately, shortly after we finished the first round of antibiotics which were prescribed from the ER visit, she began to act sick again this week. The same symptoms of sleeplessness, fever, irritability, and crying started on Tuesday, so I finally took her to the pediatrican today.
This is the first time that I have gone to a new doctor's office in seven years! I went to Little Rock Children's Clinic ever since Owen was a newborn, and I loved it there. I drove in from Cabot, even after we moved, and all my children used that clinic. I could always get an appointment within a few hours, I never had to wait a long time, the doctors were all board certified pediatricians, and they offered extended hours at nights and on Saturdays for sick kids.
When we moved to Northwest Arkansas, I asked around a lot to decide which office to visit. Several people recommended Northwest Arkansas Pediatric Clinic in Fayetteville. I was reluctant to have to drive to another town again, but I finally felt it was the best option. They have 13 pediatricians and offer the same after-hours clinic for sick kids that I had in Little Rock. This morning I called at 8:00, and I was given a 10:00 a.m. appointment. That was the first good sign, since I was a new patient. I drove to the clinic, and it only took me 23 minutes which wasn't a bad drive down the interstate. I was in a waiting room and talking to a doctor by 10:14 a.m.! I was checking out and in my car by 10:35! Everything was so similar to the Little Rock clinic that I loved, and the facility was amazing. I liked the first doctor we saw, and I am glad I went there. We left with another prescription for a stronger antibiotic, and I realized how blessed I am to have the option to go to a clinic like this for my children!
When I hear stories about how doctors' offices can't get a sick child in that day, or a parent and sick child are in the waiting room for hours, it really upsets me. Don't even get me started on those clinics that only have one waiting room where all the sick kids are mixed in with the well children! If that is your situation, you need to voice your dissatisfaction to your doctor or change doctors if all else fails. I would rather drive a bit further to get the service and treatment that I think ALL kids should be given in a pediatric setting. Don't settle, parents! We need to expect great service, convenient hours, and same day appointments for sick kids! There are clinics like that out there, if you look around. If insurance is the problem, then complain to them and try to get them to give you a waiver to an alternate facility based on your problematic experience; it doesn't hurt to try!
I'll get off my soap box now . . .
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment