Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Craftiness


Here is a current craft project that I just completed. I got the idea from several other blogs. Find a used, cheap silver platter. It doesn't matter if it's tarnished because you can clean up the edges. Mine is scratched up a bit, but I still like the "shabby chic" look. Then, paint the center with chalkboard paint. Voila . . . an inexpensive and neat looking display board to write messages or verses! It can be hung on the wall, if your platter is lightweight or put on an easel like mine.

I spray painted an old wooden easel I already had black. Then, I found the platter at an antique flea market in town for $7.00. It is pretty large and made from pewter. I was looking for a silver platter, but in a way this is better because it won't tarnish on the edges. However, it's very heavy and probably can't go on the wall very easily. I used Krylon chalkboard paint in a spray can from Wal-Mart which was only around $4 for the can. Other platters I've seen used the "paint on" chalkboard paint which they applied with a brush. I felt the spray can would be easier and provide a smoother finish with no brush strokes. It was also cheaper than a quart can, but if you already own the can of chalkboard paint, use what you have! I taped off the center of the platter to get a clean edge, and I covered the other edges with paper before spray painting. It took two coats of paint with dry time in between.

Vintage stores and thrift stores often sell various silver platters from $2-10, so you can make this little item for a bargain.

I plan to use mine to announce special events and write "Happy Birthday" or "Happy Father's Day" etc. and have it out on those days. And, I'm sure I will be looking for some more platters to whip up some cute gifts for friends!

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Michelle-
Happy Birthday from Saturday!!!!!!!! I had a Birthday on April 1st. I LOVE the new foyer look and I am crazy about the silver tray message board. Yes, I want one.

Michelle Cearley said...

Thanks! I hope you all are feeling better today. I will keep looking for more platters when I go out thrift shopping and try to find you one. If you find one first, come and borrow my paint. I have plenty left!