Friday, May 8, 2009

Show Us Where You Live Friday: Living Room



A blog I love named Kelly's Korner is doing weekly home tours on Fridays. This week the subject is LIVING ROOMS.

So, here is a brief tour of my living space in our new house. We moved into this house 4 months ago after a move across the state due to a job change. I just got the last few wall ledges hung last week!

Basic info:

Location: Northwest Arkansas
Age: built in 2006, we are the third owner, and the house had gone through foreclosure
Setting: urban, developed subdivision with HOA, small lots around .25 acre size
Paint: Blonde #6128 by Sherwin Williams

We have two living areas in this house, a downstairs living room and an upstairs bonus room. The bonus room is mainly the "kid space" where my two older boys play and watch tv.

I really like the living room and its flow. It is in the back of the house which makes it feel cozy, and it is right off the kitchen and eating area. You can see all the way through the kitchen area to the dining room and front office, so it feels very open. There are 12 foot ceilings throughout which makes it feel roomy. The actual room itself is pretty large; I think it is around 19x20 feet. We have a large couch and loveseat in there now (both pieces are floating away from the wall), but we need a chair, ottoman, and side table to go in front of the windows. That is on our list once we get some more money. For now, the Rainforest Jumperoo is filling the spot!








I love casual, traditional style, and most of the items are pretty classic. I also try to buy at least 50% of all our furniture, decor, and our family's clothing used. That is one of my "green goals" as well as a way to help save money. In the living room, the sofa, loveseat, lawyer's bookcase, vintage desk, and 7 foot silk tree were all purchased used from various sales, auctions, or Craigslist. The leather ottoman and the wheel on the wall were on sale from Pottery Barn. The mantle decor with the iron piece (which I believe is exactly like Kelly's in her pics!) and the two topiaries are from Ballard Designs catalog.





I love the space, and it works well for our family which has three kids ages 7, 4, and 1. The chenille tapestry upholstery is wonderful for durability and hiding dirt/stains. I've had it for 6 years, and the pieces were purchased from a friend who was redecorating. So, they have held up well for that many years of use! On the large doorway going into the living room, I applied a Bible verse using vinyl lettering. I love how it turned out; it was so easy, and everyone thinks it is handpainted!





I'd love to eventually tear up the carpet and put in wood floors like I had in my previous house, but we can't afford it right now. Maybe in a year or two!

I think I need something over our new tv, but I'm not sure what would look good over a television? There's not enough height for a framed print. I'm thinking maybe a large barn star or an oversized clock, but I don't know. Any suggestions would be great!!



The bonus room upstairs has a sleeper sofa, chair, tv, and game table with four chairs. It is also where we have all the games/crafts in the big closet and my sewing machine. Eventually, we plan to do a row of several tall bookcases along the large wall behind the couch. We love having an extra living area in this new house!




Thanks for stopping by!

*if you want, you can also check out my laundry room makeover and my foyer makeover.

3 comments:

Laurie said...

I enjoyed stopping by! You have some very beautiful and unique pieces!

noahandlylasmommi said...

Great house! Thanks for sharing!

Lynette said...

Great living room, I love the picture wall.