Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Out with the old, and in with the new

I resigned from the college almost two weeks ago. Now, fourteen days later, I haven't heard a word from anyone there. I emailed in my resignation letter and expected to hear from my department head or dean that they wished me well. But, nothing. So, I emailed the administrative secretary to make sure someone knew about my situation. No response. I then checked the online enrollment that shows live numbers for sections. Sure enough, my news had been processed because my name had been taken off the schedule, and my four sections had been reassigned for this fall to other people.

It was a bit hurtful that after six years of employment with the college, they didn't even recognize my departure. I know they got the information because the schedule was changed. I'm not sure if they are upset that I gave two week's notice and resigned, or if they just don't care. I felt that I had a good experience there, and I thought that I was on friendly terms with everyone. Now, I'm not sure where I stand. I don't know if I should make more contact with them in the future, and I don't know if they would consider me for future employment, if my situation in Bentonville were to change.

It's all sort of confusing. Six years, and no goodbye.

I think I've done the right thing by moving on to Bentonville schools. My college enrollment has remained low, and it appears that I would have only gotten two out of four of my sections to teach online. That would have beeen a 50% drop in my expected part-time income, and it would have really caused a financial strain in our budget.

God has been faithful to provide. Out with the old, and in with the new!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

How was your first day? I hope all went well and hope all the kids are doing well with the changes of new schools.